Unmarried Couples Legal Rights & Relationship Advice

Unmarried Couples

Is it really yours?

Contrary to popular belief unmarried couples have very little protection under English law.

It is thought that six out of ten unmarried couples believe that they are the “common law” husband or wife of their partner. The concept of “common law marriage” is a myth and is not recognised by the family courts. This means that unmarried couples have few financial claims against each other.

If you are unmarried you may have the following questions:

  • What financial claims if any do I have against my partner?
  • If the family home has to be sold what interest, if any, do I have in the proceeds of sale?
  • Will I get to stay in the family home?
  • What will happen to our children and will my partner have to pay child maintenance?

Rayden Solicitors will guide you through the answers to those questions and ascertain either what you are entitled to or what your financial responsibilities to your partner may be.

The law does not entitle an unmarried person to any type of financial claim against their partner on the breakdown of their relationship in the way that it does for a married couple or those in a Civil Partnership.

The law will treat you as two unrelated individuals. It will be necessary to look to other areas of the law to see what you may be entitled to and to ensure that, so far as the law allows, your needs are met.

The Family Home

Most disputes between unmarried couples arise over the ownership of a shared home. Even if the family home is one party’s sole name you may still have an interest in the equity in the property if you have made a contribution to that property. The Court looks to establish if you have made a financial contribution or they may consider whether you can show that there was an agreement that you were to have an interest in the property.

Applications to court where one person believes that the legal title to a property does not reflect the true ownership of that property can be complex and costly. The most sensible way forward is to have the property valued and to negotiate a formula for the calculation of the respective shares in the property. Rayden Solicitors are best placed to assist you in this process.

Rayden Solicitors will also advise on whether or not you have the right to carry on living in the family home together with strategies for you to remain in your home so far as is possible.

Your Children

If you and your partner have children and you separate, the parent with care is entitled to child support from the non-resident parent. The amount of maintenance payable will depend on the number of children you both have and your partner’s income. In cases where there are sufficient assets or income it is possible to make an application in law for housing to be provided for a child as well as for an additional income or for payments to cover school fees.

The Future

There has been some discussion as to whether the law relating to unmarried couples is likely to change in the near future to give unmarried couples greater rights to financial provision on separation. Rayden Solicitors support the efforts of Resolution in pushing forward a private members bill in this regard.

Rayden Solicitors is committed to equality and diversity and in doing so supports and advises all members of our community.

Speak to us

If you would like to make an appointment or have any questions, please contact us or fill in the enquiry form below.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Contact Number (required)

Preferred Location (required)

Please let us know the best time to contact you (GMT)

Tell us briefly about your enquiry


I have read and agree to the privacy policy for this website

We do not pass your information onto 3rd parties and only use the information you provide to respond to your query and will not add it to our mailing list.

Please call one of our Partners now, and let us tell you how we can help you
contact us »

Quick Contact

Latest News